Hibiscus rosa-sinensis | Checkered Hibiscus ‘Hummel’s Fantasy’ (different cultivar than ‘Snow Queen’)
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, commonly called Checkered Hibiscus and Coopers Variegated Hibiscus, is an old Hibiscus type that’s making a comeback with a new audience. There are a handful of different variegated hibiscus varieties with bi-color/ tri-color foliage splashed with various colors like white, green, pink, or red.
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis ‘Hummel’s Fantasy’ is a rare, highly-sought tropical variegated cultivar of Hibiscus with white-splashed green leaves. It’s similar to Hibiscus ‘Snow Queen’, but the foliage has more white variegation and the plant is very compact. Pendulous, red flowers hang amongst the variegated foliage. In full sun the white variegation will be more pronounced, while in bright shade plants will produce more less white variegation.
Like most Checkered Hibiscus’, ‘Hummel’s Fantasy’ will tolerate some moderate drought conditions, but will put on a show and flower profusely when regularly watered. During periods of drought plants will often revert to a mostly vegetative state with a decrease in growth in the size of the leaves and the flowers. Because of its compact size it makes an ideal potted plant.
The large, bright-red flowers attract hummingbirds..
It is well suited to become a permanent potted culture as a tropical houseplant, or can be grown outdoors as an annual, or perennial in zones 10+.
Outdoor light exposure: Full sun
Indoor light exposure: Direct sunlight/high light
Mature height: 4 ft
Mature width: 3 ft
Hardiness zones: 10-11
- Price is for three cuttings (3)
- Each cutting is 4-8 inches long. May be single top or multi-top.
- Guaranteed to be green, healthy, and alive. Plus pest and pathogen free.
- Guaranteed to be true-to-name.
- Packages are shipped out on Mondays and Tuesdays ONLY.
- If it’s believed the plants are not alive and healthy when you receive them you must let us know any concerns you have within 24 hours of arrival. If we do not hear any concerns within 24 hours it will be assumed that everything arrived in good standing. We cannot be held responsible for mishaps, errors, mistakes, or bad luck after this time frame.
How to prepare cuttings to root via rooting cubes inside a humidity dome.
- Upon arrival, give cuttings a new fresh cut on the bottom of the stem. Then set in a cup of water for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- After soaking, gently cut or scrape small marks into the bottom portion of the plant stem (½ inch) with scissors or a razor blade.
- Dip the scarred end of the stem into rooting gel or rooting powder (gel is superior). This can be done without rooting gel, but results are not as good.
- Insert the plant stem into a rooting cube (Oasis cubes, grow plugs, soil-cubes, rock-wool cubes, etc) and place into a nursery tray with a humidity dome over the top. One cutting per cube. Custom individual humidity domes can be made using plastic cups and/or plastic cling wrap.
- After the first 3-5 days, the humidity dome should be opened up or set ajar to slowly allow more air in as the plants start to root. At this point, the cubes should be allowed to become mostly dry before adding any more water.
- Once 2-3 roots grow out of the bottom of the root-cube, the plant can be transplanted into soil.
- More detailed rooting instructions will accompany your order.