Buddleja nivea var. Yunnanensis | Woolly Butterfly Bush ‘Yunnanensis’
Buddleja nivea Yunnanensis, also known as Cutleaf Silver Butterfly Bush and Snow White Butterfly Bush, is endemic to Yunnan China and is one of the largest Buddlejas in our collection, quickly reaching 8-10 ft, with an ultimate height of 12-18 ft!
Produces remarkable, heavily felted silvery-white stems. The leaves are very large and and deeply serrated, felted with pale grey-green on top, and pure white felt underneath. The purple flowers are somewhat insignificant on this variety, but do still hold some intrigue because they are large, long, and felted. This plant is worth growing for the foliage alone and looks great in the very back of a border.
Grows best in full sun in a somewhat sheltered position in sharply drained, sandy/gravely soils. Does not like wet conditions. Plant it where you can’t see it November-March as it can become pretty haggard and unsightly from harsh winter weather. Half prune to make the plant shorter and less prone to wind-rocking, and then hard prune to the knees in early spring for a better looking plant.
Start seeds indoors with heat, humidity, and light. Do not cover tiny seeds with soil. Allow up to 2 weeks to germinate.
Sun exposure: Full sun
Mature height: 12-18 ft
Mature width: 8-10 ft
Hardiness zones: 6-9
- Price is for two cuttings (3)
- Each cutting is 4-9 inches long. May be single top or multi-top.
- Guaranteed to be green, healthy, and alive. Plus pest and pathogen free.
- Guaranteed to be true-to-name.
- Cuttings orders must select the ‘Plants & cuttings’ shipping option during checkout.
- Packages are shipped out on Mondays and Tuesdays ONLY.
- If it’s believed the plants are not alive and healthy when you receive them you must let us know any concerns you have within 24 hours of arrival. If we do not hear any concerns within 24 hours it will be assumed that everything arrived in good standing. We cannot be held responsible for mishaps, errors, mistakes, or bad luck after this time frame.
- You will receive instructions on how to handle the unrooted cuttings with your order.