Buddleja nivea var. Yunnanensis | Woolly Butterfly Bush ‘Yunnanensis’
Buddleja nivea Yunnanensis, also known as Cutleaf Silver Butterfly Bush and Snow White Butterfly Bush, is endemic to Yunnan China and is one of the largest Buddlejas in our collection, quickly reaching 8-10 ft, with an ultimate height of 12-18 ft!
Produces remarkable, heavily felted silvery-white stems. The leaves are very large and and deeply serrated, felted with pale grey-green on top, and pure white felt underneath. The purple flowers are somewhat insignificant on this variety, but do still hold some intrigue because they are large, long, and felted. This plant is worth growing for the foliage alone and looks great in the very back of a border.
Grows best in full sun in a somewhat sheltered position in sharply drained, sandy/gravely soils. Does not like wet conditions. Plant it where you can’t see it November-March as it can become pretty haggard and unsightly from harsh winter weather. Half prune to make the plant shorter and less prone to wind-rocking, and then hard prune to the knees in early spring for a better looking plant.
Sun exposure: Full sun
Mature height: 12-18 ft
Mature width: 8-10 ft
Hardiness zones: 6-9
- Price is for three cuttings (3)
- Each cutting is 4-9 inches long. May be single top or multi-top.
- Guaranteed to be green, healthy, and alive. Plus pest and pathogen free.
- Guaranteed to be true-to-name.
- Packages are shipped out on Mondays and Tuesdays ONLY.
- If it’s believed the plants are not alive and healthy when you receive them you must let us know any concerns you have within 24 hours of arrival. If we do not hear any concerns within 24 hours it will be assumed that everything arrived in good standing. We cannot be held responsible for mishaps, errors, mistakes, or bad luck after this time frame.
How to prepare cuttings to root via rooting cubes inside a humidity dome.
- Upon arrival, give cuttings a new fresh cut on the bottom of the stem. Then set in a cup of water for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- After soaking, gently cut or scrape small marks into the bottom portion of the plant stem (½ inch) with scissors or a razor blade.
- Dip the scarred end of the stem into rooting gel or rooting powder (gel is superior). This can be done without rooting gel, but results are not as good.
- Insert the plant stem into a rooting cube (Oasis cubes, grow plugs, soil-cubes, rock-wool cubes, etc) and place into a nursery tray with a humidity dome over the top. One cutting per cube. Custom individual humidity domes can be made using plastic cups and/or plastic cling wrap.
- After the first 3-5 days, the humidity dome should be opened up or set ajar to slowly allow more air in as the plants start to root. At this point, the cubes should be allowed to become mostly dry before adding any more water.
- Once 2-3 roots grow out of the bottom of the root-cube, the plant can be transplanted into soil.
- More detailed rooting instructions will accompany your order.