Hibiscus rosa-sinensis | Checkered Hibiscus ‘Aussie Queen’
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, commonly called Checkered Hibiscus, Coopers Variegated Hibiscus, Chinese hibiscus, China rose, Hawaiian hibiscus, and Rose mallow, is an old type that is now making a comeback with a new audience. There are a trio of variegated foliage hibiscus plants and they are widely grown as an ornamentals for their tri-colored, brilliantly-variegated foliage which are splashed with either white and green, or white and green and pink. The more sun exposure/direct light, the brighter the variegation on the plants. Not only are the leaves spectacular, but beautiful blazing-red tropical flowers will bloom on new growth throughout the long-daylight season. The unusual green, pink and white variegation of the leaves adds great texture and interest even when it not in flower.
The ‘Aussie Queen’ variegated Hibiscus variety is a much more rare and lesser known Tropical Hibiscus cultivar. It’s often confused with the more common one on the market, called ‘Rose Queen’, which more often than not, results in misnamed or mislabled plants being offered for sale. There is little to no info to be found online as to the origins of this particular Hibiscus cultivar and we 100% have the real deal ‘Aussie Queen’. The difference between ‘Aussie Queen’ and the ‘Rose Queen’ is that ‘Aussie Queen’ has more white leaves, some of which are almost completely white when new. Another distinguishing characteristic is that it doesn’t have an overwhelming amount of bright pink splashes of color on the leaves, but rather has pink coloring around the edges of the leaves, which gives a beautiful glowing effect. ‘Aussie Queen’ Hibiscus grows into a full bush with more of a draping habit than the other types, and grows slower due to the lack of green on the newer leaves.
Well suited for permanent potted culture as an indoor tropical houseplant, or can be grown outdoors as a perennial in zones 10+. Requires ample nutrients, regular moisture, and ample amounts of sunlight.
When purchasing unrooted plant cuttings we ask that you please be familiar and comfortable with asexual plant propagation (rooting clones). If you don’t have a tried and true method that works for you, we recommend purchasing a rooted plant.
Outdoor light exposure: Full sun
Indoor light exposure: Direct sunlight/high light
Mature height: 4 ft
Mature width: 3 ft
Hardiness zones: 10-11
- Price is for three cuttings (3)
- Each cutting is 4-9 inches long. May be single top or multi-top.
- Guaranteed to be green, healthy, and alive. Plus pest and pathogen free.
- Guaranteed to be true-to-name.
- Cuttings orders must select the ‘Plants & cuttings’ shipping option during checkout.
- Packages are shipped out on Mondays and Tuesdays ONLY.
- If it’s believed the plants are not alive and healthy when you receive them you must let us know any concerns you have within 24 hours of arrival. If we do not hear any concerns within 24 hours it will be assumed that everything arrived in good standing. We cannot be held responsible for mishaps, errors, mistakes, or bad luck after this time frame.