Buddleja lindleyana | Weeping Butterfly Bush
Weeping Butterfly Bush, also known as Lindley’s Butterfly Bush, is native to China. It was first introduced into cultivation by Robert Fortune in 1843 and named by him in 1844 in honor of Dr. John Lindley, who was the botanical professor and secretary of the Royal Horticultural Society.
Weeping Butterfly Bush is a relatively unknown species that is frequently overlooked in favor of the numerous cultivars of Buddleia davidii. This easy to grow, perennial shrub has a weeping form with graceful, arching and pendulous racemes of violet-purple flowers just keep blooming and growing in length, eventually reaching 12, 24, or 36 inches long, the longest of all Buddlejas! It’s a prolific bloomer, a butterfly magnet, and a hummingbird and bumble bee attractant. Foliage is dark green and glossy and remains evergreen throughout the winter months. The blooms make exceptional cut flowers, lasting a very long time.
Unlike the more common butterfly bush species like B. davidii, which do best with a hard pruning in spring, Buddleja lindleyana is fine without it. If pruning is necessary, do it in early spring.
The plant can spread via underground rhizomes after it is well established, so new plants may be found within a few feet of the mother plant.
Outdoor light exposure: Full sun to part shade
Indoor light exposure: N/A
Mature height: 8-10 ft
Mature width: 5-7 ft
Hardiness zones: 5- 10
- Price is for three cuttings (3)
- Each cutting is 4-9 inches long. May be single top or multi-top.
- Guaranteed to be green, healthy, and alive. Plus pest and pathogen free.
- Guaranteed to be true-to-name.
- Cuttings orders must select the ‘Plants & cuttings’ shipping option during checkout.
- Packages are shipped out on Mondays and Tuesdays ONLY.
- If it’s believed the plants are not alive and healthy when you receive them you must let us know any concerns you have within 24 hours of arrival. If we do not hear any concerns within 24 hours it will be assumed that everything arrived in good standing. We cannot be held responsible for mishaps, errors, mistakes, or bad luck after this time frame.